Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I wanna go back to when...

In the last couple of days both of my older boys who are away at college have been going thru some rough times financially while waiting for their financial aid to come thru. If you went to college, are in college, or have kids in college you can relate to this. They both go to school full time and they both work, and so they are experiencing what the rest of us are going thru in what we call LIFE. I have heard both of them say to their younger brother who is only 10, man I wish I was your age again so I didnt have to deal with so much, it was easy back then. I shook my head agreeing with them and saying sorry hun but it certainly doesn't get any easier. Of course if you ask my older boys they think as mom I bring on so much more "stress" in my life because in their minds I worry to much, I simply say you wait until you have kids away in college and see if you don't have a thing or two to worry about!!!!! So along with the normal every day worries that I think the majority of us have yes,I do also stress about my boys, and their safety. So this all got me to thinking about going back to when things in life seemed simple. So enjoy the list below

I Want To Go Back To The Time When.....




Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo"

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming "do over!"

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly"

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends

Being old referred to anyone over 20

The net on a tennis court was the perfect height to play volleyball and rules didn't matter

the worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"

It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb

It was unbelievable that dodgeball wasn't an Olympic event

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot

Nobody was prettier than Mom

Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better

It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people" rides at the amusement park

A foot of snow was a dream come true

Abilities ere discovered because of a "double-dog-dare"

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute ads for action figures

No shopping trip was complete unless a new toy was brought home

"oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team

War was a card game

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin

Ice cream was considered a basic food group

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors

5 comments:

RileyScott said...

Great post Dena. I use to tell my younger sister the same things your boys tell their little brother. She didn't listen of course, but I tried. Childhood is such a unique time is your life, and I try to hold onto to just a little of what I had, cause I think it's important to not take everything in life too seriously.

Favorite quote:

"Janie's a pretty typical teenager. Angry, insecure, confused. I wish I could tell her that's all going to pass, but I don't want to lie to her. " American beauty

~Tom~ said...

Ok so, while I certainly can see your reason for posting this story, I need to point out something that jumped off the page at me. Your boys are right Dena. They have you pegged. You and I both know you stress more than you probably need to in many instances.

As for the rest of it, yes I sometimes do wish I could go back to younger years. But only if I could pick and choose that part of being a kid I want. Stop and think back for a minute to some of the tragedy and heartache that you endured. As a kid you had absolutely no control over it.

As long as we have the ability to look back with fond memories like you did in your post, then I am willing to live my life as it is today and to lose myself in the happy memories. Hugz kiddo

Anonymous said...

Read James chapters 1
your dad

~Tom~ said...

Hmm ok, your dad has me intrigued enough to go home and dig out the bible so I can read the chapter he mentioned above. Thanks Mr. Dena's dad.

Cheryl said...

I agree with Tom....if I could pick and choose which moments in my childhood I could revisit, I would do that...but I wouldn't want to relive my childhood over...it wasn't the greatest...which is probably why I don't remember a lot of it...LOL.