It is our small communities 15th annual Relay For Life this week-end. My ex MIL is the chairperson for this and has got my youngest son Devin who is only 11 really involved with the whole thing, he is the youngest member of their team. He's been involved in the different things they have done to raise money, and even went around our neighborhood and collected over $100 in donations, all by himself! Devin's other grandma (my mom) died when he was only 6 1/2 months old, even though he and I spent every day with grandma those 6 1/2 months he of course has no recollection of this. But he loves being a part of the whole Relay For Life because he knows it helps others and he feels he does it in memory of his own grandma. So tonight while you are all relaxing, and settling down for the night my little Devin will still be out there walking around the track in memory of his grandma.
* they sold luminaries and people were able to decorate for someone they lost to cancer and even for the survivors of cancer, during tonight's event they will light the luminaries all around the track and they will take the time to read each and every persons name on the luminaries, its a very touching moment...this is the front and back of our luminary*
Last year the Relay For Life raised $409 million across the United States and 19 other countries around the world. In Nebraska (where we are from) there were 47 events that raised$ 3.3. million. About 40% of the money raised goes towards research, with the remaining 60% divided between education, advocacy, and patient services. The Relay For Life is a life changing event that brings together more that 3.5 million people every year to celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer, remember those loved ones lost, and to empower individuals and communities to fight back against this disease.