Total Pageviews

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day....and my Soldier


As a mom to a soldier that is over in Iraq right now this holiday means even more to me then it ever has before. Its important for us to remember the sacrifice that these men and women make when they decide to become a soldier. Today is to honor those that have fallen and have paid the ultimate price for us to have our freedom. But at the same time its important for us to remember all those that are away from their families doing what is asked of them from our government in order for us to have the freedom we have each and every day.

When my son told me over 3 years ago, when he was a freshman in college, he was going to join the National Guard I was shocked and anything but thrilled about this decision and when he got the call last August that he would be taken from his unit and put in another one so he could deploy in November of this last year I was even less thrilled. And as the holidays and family times have come and gone the last few months and I had to spend them without him...its made me realize that the sacrifice my son along with so many others have made is amazing. I have so much respect and admiration for what my son is doing...I couldnt be any more proud of him then I am right now.

Of course it doesnt make it any easier on me when he calls me to tell me that he had an accident and then I see the damage that was done to his beautiful face.


He is ok......some equipment decided to pop off the truck and it happened just after he took his head gear off.....of course it would happen then....great timing!!!


At any rate today whether you spend the day BBQ'ing, or at the pool, or just relaxing and enjoying your time off work, don't forget to remember those who gave their lives for this great nation, and those that are away from their families still fighting for our freedom.


In the words of Lee Greenwood:
And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.


And to my son, Kody.....I love you with all my heart and I miss you every single day but I couldnt be more proud of you and the man that you have become...you will always and forever be my hero!







2 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful tribute! Very proud of him myself. Along with all the other soldiers who have or are still fighting for our freedom! God Bless America! :o)

Joanie said...

Thanks to your son for his service to our great country. I'm sure his face will heal just fine. Hang in there, Dena! hugs!